Monday, December 27, 2010

Life List

This year has been a good one, in fact a great one. However, it has been sprinkled with a number of people close to me or close to my inner circle getting sick. Those phone calls are hard and deep but really important. For me, they always make me feel so grateful...for literally everything in my life. They also make me take stock of everything else I want to do with my life. I know many people have what they call a "bucket list" but frankly, I think that's a bit morbid. So I am changing it to my life list. Well, maybe just my 2011 list.

Given my attention span, I am going to scale down this posting to only things on my Life List-the Chicago edition. I recently told a friend, "It's been 10 years since I moved back to Chicago and I am so happy I did. There are still so many things in the City that I have yet to experience but still want to do." She started laughing at me, however, I think she came around when she realized that there were things on my list that she too wanted to do in Chicago as well. So read away and feel free to add your own.

1. Go and see Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. I know its been around for ever, but I have yet to see it.

2. Take an intro to sewing class at the Needle Shop and learned to make a pillow. I was inspired but never followed through myself.

3. Visit and tour Graceland Cemetary.

4. Go and see a blue show at Buddy Guys or Kingston Mines. I know, I know...I should have done this one already, but life is busy and yadda yadda. (no links as I am blocked from entertainment type sites at work)

5. Take a class at Lill Street.-A long time ago there was a girl that was a sculpture major in college. Then she started working in politics and had two kids and lost her creative spark. 2011 is the year to bring it back!!

So my list is short. It is my feeble attempt to try to feel accomplished. It's all about baby steps people.

1 comment:

  1. First off, let me say how lucky James and I are to have you in our lives. Your texts really made me feel loved and cared for. I'm lucky you're my cousin.
    Secondly, if you need a partner in crime for your life list:
    1. I love TMLMTBGB! I used to see it once a month in my early 20s. I will totally go see it again with you :)
    2. I've always wanted to learn how to sew! I even took an adult ed. sewing class, but I was pretty bad. I could stand to start over.
    3. I think I wandered through here during "the goth years" but I'd love to go again. I took an anthropology class in college that required me to find genealogy patterns in cemeteries. I've had a fondness for them ever since.
    4. I've never done this either and I really want to!
    5. You're on your own here - I am so not creative in visual arts. Much better with music.

    Maybe this summer??

    ReplyDelete