Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Instant Karma's Gonna Get You


Today I took the kids downtown by myself and got off at the Grand stop. It was nearing rush hour and it was pretty difficult to maneuver a double stroller off a crowded train and into a station with no elevator.

Instead of being annoyed that I would need to carry my stroller up the long flight of stairs, I thought of my friend Karen. She is disabled and is one of the most spirited and amazing women and mother I know personally. (She once wrote Obama a letter about how she tried to attend a fundraiser at a church and it didn't have a ramp. He called her personally to apologize and now she is invited to the White House Xmas party...cool and inspiring!) I thought this is the type of stuff she deals with on a daily basis. In this day and age, when we spend millions of dollars on high tech cameras (I know I used to work for Homeland Security), why the hell can't we put in an elevator and make this world more ADA compliant.

Then as the crowds descended up the stairs and I was left alone on the platform with two kids. This man offered to carry my stroller for me up the stairs, not just up one flight of stairs, but two. I was struck by his willingness to help a complete stranger. What a mentsh. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does...I feel re-energized by the human spirit.

So, pay it forward. It's good karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment