Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Daily Pressure

My good friend recently sent me this article and it really made me think. I do feel the daily pressure of trying to be the best parent, while balancing everything else in my life. I try to be involved, but not too involved. I try to give my kids healthy food, but not deprive them of the occasional Dorrito. It is a delicate tightrope that I often feel like I fall off.

I am keenly aware that I often put these pressures on myself, as many of us Type-A mommies do. I have tried to follow the 80/20 rule. (For those unfamiliar, eighty percent of the time we try to follow the family rules, but twenty percent of the time, they go out the window.) This is one way that I have found internally to relieve some of the "perfect mom" pressure.

The article also talks about how attachment parenting can be isolating and add undue pressure on the mom. I have often thought to myself the difference between the mom role and the dad role in our society, and I guess in our family. Don't get me wrong, my husband is super involved and a great dad, but there is a difference.

Ok enough intellectual psycho-babble...now for my deep thought of the evening. Wouldn't it be great to be in a polygamist household, where there were multiple moms around all the time helping out with the children related responsibilities? Remember it takes a village.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, so true. I'm not even close to an attachment parent, and there's enough pressure out there without that nonsense. We all do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete