Monday, January 10, 2011

From Green Bean Casserole to Gluten Free Toffee Puffs

So I have to admit, my husband's family is not the most epicurean family on the block.  They like their staples, especially at Christmas...green bean casserole, cranberries from a can and pie from Baker's Square. 


Since going Gluten Free, I usually abstain from dessert or I bring my own chocolate bar and hide in my bedroom eating it.  This year, a shout out to my MIL for making some amazing and yummy GF cookies. 

They were so good that I asked for the recipe and made them again for new year's.  Everyone at the party thought they were great.  So hats off to Nani.  Who knew gluten free and non-GF cookie lovers could be reunited in cookie harmony once again.

So here it is, re-named:




Nani's Chocolate Toffee Puffs

4 Large egg whites
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa
2 (1.4 ounces) chocolate covered toffee bars (or heath bar bits)

Preheat oven to 350

Beat egg whites in a large bowl with mixer until soft peaks form.  Gradually add sugar, beating until still peaks form.  **

Combine powdered sugar, cocoa, and candy bar bits in a small bowl, mix well.  Fold in half of cocoa mixture into egg whites (egg whites will deflate quickly).  Fold in remaining cocoa mixture until smooth.  Drop the egg mixture by rounded tablespoons onto baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

Yield-2 dozen


**Great recipe to make with kids as they enjoy to watch the eggs go from goopy whites to stiff peaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment