Friday, February 4, 2011

Gluten Free Blues

I recently had a friend whose daughter was diagnosed with Celiac.  She was really upset, rightfully so, and is really intent on focusing on what her daughter can't eat.  I think it is incredibly important to be vigilent, especially when there is a health concern.  That being said, I think you should focus on what you CAN eat.  This week, I was reading Gluten Free Girl and she posted the most amazing salad.  I especially loved the colors in it, given it is winter and everything is sooo drab.  I knew the moment I read the recipe I would love it and indeed I did. 

Even though there is so much I can eat and usually I am not down it...I LOVE challah.  I am Jewish and this is a weekly staple in my diet.  I mean this WAS a weekly staple in my diet.  I always thought that as a Jewish mom, I would perfect the art of making a good challah.  So today, while working at home and multi-tasking on a conference call, I kneaded the dough, let it rise and popped it in the oven.  It really did look fantastic, only I couldn't eat it.  Maybe, somewhere the GF gods and goddess will invent a GF challah that doesn't taste gritty or make me sick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment